Welcome to Beulah Baptist Church!
Friday, December 06, 2013
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BEULAH BAPTIST CHURCH
1860 - 2006
Beulah Baptist Church is located in the Kents Store Community, about two miles north of Kents Store on Route 659, in Fluvanna County, Virginia. Having been a “daughter” of Lyles Baptist Church at Wilmington, Beulah Church was organized September 29, 1860, and was admitted to the Goshen Association the following year.
The land for the church site was given by Martin L. Kent and Christopher Henderson Shepherd. The finest heart pine for the building and pews was given by interested persons in the community. The church is substantially built. The wood was carefully hand prepared and put together with pegs, mortices, and hand-cut nails. In 1915, the interior of the church was remodeled. The gallery was removed, the beaded wood ceiling and wainscoting were installed along with plastered walls. In 1954, the church built a basement for Sunday School rooms and installed central heating. In 1960, the restrooms were built, a baptistry was installed, the interior of the church was painted, and the floors and pews were refinished. In 1970, the original front porch and steps were removed and replaced with steps leading to the two front doors. In 1979, the church walls were insulated, storm windows were installed, and a new sidewalk was built on the east side of the building. Also in 1979, a new furnace and air conditioning was installed.
In 1966, Mrs. Shirley Vick gave the church a new parsonage that was built on land given by Mrs. Helen Winston adjoining Beulah Baptist Church Cemetery property. The land and parsonage were dedicated in the fall of 1967. The parsonage was built by Mr. L.T. Richardson, local contractor. In April 1999, Mrs. Vick gave the church a monetary gift to be used for a raised baptistry and choir loft. There was more extensive work done at this time. The raised baptistry, choir loft and new addition was dedicated in 2002.
During 1975, there was a need for more Sunday School space and also a kitchen and dining area. Adjoining land was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Harold Phillips and Mr. & Mrs. Francis Phillips to meet requirements of a county ordinance. Mr. J. Monroe Johnson, local contractor, built this building. The building was dedicated in July 1977. August 5, 1979, we observed a note burning service, signifying the retirement of the debt on the Educational/Fellowship Building. In 1983, air conditioning was installed.
Our first pastor was Dr. Charles R. Dickinson and was called in October 1860. He served until his death in August 1880. Our current pastor is Jason Taylor, who began his ministry at Beulah in October 2006.
A field consisting of Memorial of Columbia, Perkins, Mt. Gilead, and Beulah was organized in 1921. In 1955, Mt. Gilead and Perkins withdrew from the field, leaving Beulah and Memorial together. May 30, 1982, Beulah voted to separate from Memorial of Columbia.
There have been many beautiful and useful gifts and memorials given to Beulah over the years. All gifts have been greatly appreciated.
In 1993, we had the joy of commissioning and sending forth our pastor, David Crane, for foreign mission service to Kenya, East Africa. In September 1998, 5 of our members went to Kenya to work with the Cranes doing Medical/Evangelistic work for two weeks.
Beulah has had the privilege of ordaining two of its members into the Gospel Ministry. Charles H. Snead, Jr. was ordained March 1980 and John Maus was ordained July 1991.
Our current Board of Deacons consists of 8 active members: David Everitt, Bernard Grubbs , Jim Cullinan, Jay Cullinan, Gail Light, Todd Taylor, Eddie Chapman, and Don Hackler.
Our current Board of Trustees consist of 3 active members Gussie C. Cosner, William R. Hamm and Bernard Grubbs.
The members of Beulah Baptist Church have experienced much happiness, service, and growth over the years. Many hours have been spent studying God’s Word together, worshipping in a Bible preaching atmosphere, and the close bond of Christian love. This bond which always has and still does unite the members of Beulah Baptist Church in fellowship and love for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.